Friday, December 13, 2013

Asia... Here I come!!!!

So... i'm off to ASIA!!!!!! i can't even believe it!

The day i left South Africa i said goodbye to some Australians and told them that i was thinking about going to New Zealand for christmas with Leslie and they said "We are two hours away, you should come to Australia!!!" I felt a big smile on my face and i turned to Leslie and said "We should go to Australia for New Years!!!"... I felt excited that i was already planning my next trip!

Well... long story short NZ and Australia didn't seem to be happening for me (my first disappointment was to read that a NZ visa takes up to 6 months!!!) and since I'm not the kind of person who sits around for others to make plans I decided to make plans of my own.
December was less than two months away so i knew i HAD to think fast about my next move! I decided a thursday afternoon that i wanted to go to China... too cold! India... no, i need more than 3 weeks for India! Thailand?!?!... Thailand?!?! YES!!!!! THAILAND! I've always wanted to go to Thailand! how about Vietnam?!?! YES! Vietnam too!!! And that's pretty much how i ended up with the idea of traveling to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia!!!!

That thursday night after work i spent hours researching their climate, what to do, where to go, tours, airplane tickets costs and connections, hostels, etc... my traveling bug was going crazy inside of me... tons of ideas and i felt as if the excitement was coming out of my skin.  I called my mom first thing in the morning the next day to let her know about my plans (already expecting the "Andrea... you are crazy!") and by 3pm i had everything reserved and within 48 hours everything had been paid for (impulsive much?!?!?), my travel bug was happy and i just needed to go to the library and start planning! yeay!

The last 365 days have been crazy... I've had such an amazing year so 2014 better be ready to knock me off my feet!!! Plus... i'll be celebrating my 30th birthday... In PERU.. And 10 days later I'll be hiking Machu Picchu!!!!

I can't imagine that a year ago i spent Christmas in Prague and New Years in Budapest with my cousin! Then I came back and worked really hard and finally graduated. Shortly after graduation i spent time back home in El Salvador, got to see a lot of my friends and spend some quality time with my family. And then finally i went to Africa for 5 weeks... And now Asia?!?!?! I'm super lucky, to say the least!

After graduating i felt some sense of relief and pride... but at the same time i felt some kind of pressure to act like the grown-up i don't think i am (some people might disagree and say i'm too put together and responsible for my age.) But a "real" job?!?! ummm but i LOVE being a fun babysitter PLUS i have been in school for MY WHOLE LIFE... i deserve a break and have fun, do some face painting, make jewelry out of cheap beads with the kids and play with my kimochis all day!!! jajaja

It's been a couple of months since i got back from Africa and i had a lot of time to sit with "confusion", i've stared at it, i've been mad at it, but i finally welcomed it and most importantly, made peace with it. The most important part about confusion is that it has allowed me to explore, to get out of my comfort zone and most importantly it has taught me to LET GO!... i don't need to micromanage everything!
I am a strong believer that everything that needs to happen will happen, what's yours is yours...
Another important thing about confusion is that it has made me think of "WHAT MAKES YOU HAPPY?" really... Andrea, what choice will make you happy? not the "but you have a masters degree so you SHOULD get a paid job" so for the last couple of months i've been following my heart... and my heart says take it easy, slow down for a year and TRAVEL ANDREA.. T.R.A.V.E.L!!!!

So here I am... writing another blog about my next adventure!!!! ... And there will be another one coming up in summer when I go for 7 1/2 weeks to South America before I... wait for it... Go back to school for my master nĂºmero DOS on fall 2014!!! 

Anyway... Back to this trip... This time i'm going by myself to Cambodia, and then joining a tour of young people through Vietnam, Laos, and Thailand!
The trip type is "YOLO" (You Only Live Once) and is designed for young, budget- minded travellers. Pretty much is a group of backpackers taking public transportation through these countries together and all our accommodations have been taken care of, we have a guide with us but we are pretty much on our own! So i thought it would be a really cool way to see Southeast Asia! woohoo i'm excited!!!

Here's a little map of my adventure :-)


2 comments:

  1. Great trip! Siem Reap and Angkor Wat is amazing! Luang Prabang also is delightful, a very pleasant city.

    Are you only doing the Gadventures trip, or are you doing som independent travel also? Karine and I will celebrate New Years in Singapore and Malaysia. I am moving to Singapore in late december, so do drop by if you have some extra time to see the squeaky clean version of Asia.

    Happy travels!
    Morten Barreth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morten!
    Now i remembrance you telling me about Singapore on the taxi on out way to the airport in Zambia! I did Cambodia on my own and then 3 weeks with GA and a couple of days in Bangkok! So sad I won't have extra time :-(
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete