Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The bus nightmare

A month or so ago I pre booked my bus tickets online with "the best" bus company to make sure that I would have a secure spot to get to my next destination on time. 
I was supposed to be picked up at 10pm for my 11pm and it was getting late. There was another guy for an 11pm bus so I was sure it was going to be fine. When the L.A got picked up his tuk tuk driver would not take me because I didn't have a ticket!!! I showed him my e-ticket and he said no and left... I started to freakout!
The front desk told me "it's ok, they are coming" I was starting to get angry and anxious! So I said "no, you have to call them RIGHT NOW"  (You don't want to deal with me when I'm getting angry and tell me I'm not gonna get my way!) he really wasn't listening so I made sure they heard me. Finally, they called the company but they wouldn't pick up, I said "try again" and after many tries they got through and talked to somebody who said that my bus had left without me!!!!! I just wanted to punch somebody! Haha then they said that it was still there and that they were sending a tuk tuk for me! Five minutes later they said that the bus was in fact gone and that it wasn't their fault... Then I got extremely mad, I had an email confirming my pick up and said " I need to be in Phnom Penh tomorrow morning" it got to a point that the manager got involved and the solution was that they were going to give me a bed for free and I was going to leave first thing in the morning! Not acceptable!!
By then, I had already sent an email to the bus company telling them the situation and how unprofessional and unacceptable the situation was and that I was going to make sure that my hostel and trip advisor knew about what was going on!
At 1/4 to midnight a guy came and said he was awaiting for a pickup for his 12:30am bus to Phnom Penh! Then I realized there was indeed one last bus so when his tuk tuk driver came to pick him up I asked him to call and there were 2 spots on the VIP sleeper bus.
I grabbed my bags and ran to the tuk tuk!

The VIP sleeper bus was one of the most uncomfortable busses I've ever been on!!! 
To begin with there was an Indian guy with his feet in between my seat and it was disgusting! People should learn to be respectful and not to put their body parts next to somebody!
Then, I did not fit!!!! I'm too long so it was beyond uncomfortable!

At about 4am a moron 2 seats away from me started to eat VERY crunchy food for FORTY minutes!!!! I really felt like punching him on the face (I've had it for the day!) I have no idea what he ate but it was so loud, it really got to my nerves, and it's not that it was only crunchy, he would make a lot of noise when grabbing a piece from the bucket where his food was! I think it must have been like super crunchy chicharrones because he was able to chew 4-5 times and still make a noise!

Then,  at 5am while sleeping we stopped and a bunch of people got out and then a lot of people got in, the 12 am bus in front of us had broken down and now the 50 people on that bus got on ours! People were crammed in the bus, I now had a girl sitting next to me and some others standing next to us!




I hate hate hate public bathrooms so I had made my calculations not to have to go while on the bus but I didn't take into account that we could be 2hrs and 45 mins late! By 7am (we were supposed to be I'm Phnom Penh by 6am) I couldn't anymore! It got to the point that I couldn't move and the very bumpy roads of Cambodia were making it really difficult to hold it in!
It finally got to a point that I couldn't... Went to the driver (who didn't speak english) and asked to stop! Three non english speaking Cambodians were in the front and they weren't  getting it! I squatted and made pee sounds and touched my tummy and said "pee toilet now" and they laughed!!! I started jumping up and down and they got it! 
There wasn't much around so he stopped at what looked like a construction site and I tried to run and asked two different people "toilet" and squatted and did the whole thing and they both laughed... I said screw it, ran behind the construction site and peed... Awwww, the things one does when traveling... I know Titi would be proud!

We got to Phnom Penh and since the bus company who didn't pick me up was next to the one I took I made sure to go in and let them know what happened. Of course they did not take responsibility at first and asked to talk to his boss and told his everything in detail. I kept my cool but told them how unprofessional they were and that I booked with them because they were supposed to be the best company but that I was extremely disappointed with their services blah blah blah. After much back and forth they decided to give me a refund and they even returned the money for my next trip and gave me a complimentary ride... It seemed fair!

1 comment: