Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Exploring Siem Reap

(This one is supposed to be right after "Temples" and before "Bus nightmare")

First things first... Woke up and went straight to the laundromat to get my clothes washed!
I asked the girl where to eat breakfast "locals- NO TOURIST" and she sent me to the old market! There were many stands with ladies making food, it all looked good but most of them I had no idea what it was so I decided to stand and see how they made it! I decided to go for noodles with an egg on top. I sat next to the locals and said to the lady "one- NO MEAT" while I pointed out to what the little boy next to me had ordered! She had some cakes on her pan so I asked what it was and she showed me the ingredients- no words! So I said "one" and showed her with a finger.
I sat in front of her while she made breakfast for everybody, she seemed maybe confused of why I was there and she kept smiling at me. Once I had my breakfast I ate it all, it was really really good and I ended up paying $1 (I bet it was less but I gave her the bill, said thank you and a hand gesture saying to keep the change.)


At the market:







From there I went back to the hostel, packed my bags, returned my key and rented a bike to go explore on my own.

I rented a bike for $1 and went back to the route we passed on our way to the floating village. 
While on the main road I noticed a bunch of bridges that lead to very muddy streets with local houses and decided to go. 


On the bridge three little boys came to me and showed me a bug, they even put it on a pillar for me to take a picture of if, the four of us looked at the screen and took the picture and then one held the bug and with hand gestures he let me know he wanted me to take a picture of it.



I kept going and found a little mud street and decided to go... It took me to an open space with rice fields and some beautiful structures overlooking the fields.

Many people had fish drying on the sun, the funniest one was the house who has drying their clothes and fish... That will be a very smelly load of laundry!

More drying fish:

On the ride I was able to understand a little bit more how people in the area live... The level of poverty I saw is heart breaking! 




After a 3-4 bike ride I picked up my laundry and went back to the hostel! I don't know if it was exhaustion, too much sun, not enough food or what but I got extremely sick... While I was looking for food at the market I got very lightheaded, my body was extremely heavy and felt like I was going to faint and felt like throwing up. I told myself that I needed to breathe, my body was asking for something sweet so I got myself a smoothie, sat on a bench and did some breathing while trying to remain calm... What if I fainted right there and then? I somehow found energy to walk to the hostel and since I didn't have a bed anymore I laid on one of the sofas by the pool and slept for two hours. After my nap, I woke up like new and went out shopping until I met with Laty for dinner :-)

Cambodian gas station:







No comments:

Post a Comment