Monday, December 23, 2013

Vietnam!!!!

I made it to Vietnam! Yay!!

I took a six hour bus from Phnom Penh to Vietnam that was waaaayyy better than my last train from Siem Reap!

Once I got to the hotel where I was meeting my tour group I quickly dropped my bags off and went to the War Remnants Museum since I had exactly 2 1/2 hours before I had to meet with the group.

At the entrance of the museum there are several US ARMY airplanes as well as tanks that were used during the war. The rest of the museum is pretty much a recollection of pictures of the war. 
Overall, It was heart breaking to see how a whole country was destroyed by a war. The saddest part is that the US sprayed so many chemicals that even now they still are living the consequences of the war and many babies in Vietnam are born without limbs or deformed because of the "Agent Orange". 






I do not know anything about wars nor want to but I just simply don't understand why we have them. In my mind if my friends were having a fight I wouldn't go and attack the other one just. Why isn't there a decent way to talk about things and come to a conclusion? Is it really necessary to destroy a country and kill its people to come to a conclusion? Why are we so cold blooded that we find it acceptable to kill innocent people?!? How is this different than what Pol Pot did? This whole thing reminded me of the quote "Better to kill an innocent by mistake than to spare an enemy by mistake".... So so so sad!

There isn't much I can say about this museum other than it is very sad and I really felt sick to my stomach during and after it!
On the third floor they have a FABULOUS exposition of photographs from the war taken by professional photographers and reporters that will for sure make your tears flow.
Next to many of the pictures there was a little story, one that caught my attention was the one of Robert Cappa, an American photographer who got killed by a land mine and this quote was next to it "It is a harsh way for America to learn"






This photo somehow was very powerful and made me cry:




No comments:

Post a Comment